Slider

NEWS

ENTERTAINMENT

SPORTS

WORLD

BUSINESS


File photo: Nigerian soldiers 

A report by the Agence France Presse, AFP, has shown that at least eight Nigerian soldiers were killed in a Boko Haram ambush.

The deadly attack reportedly occurred in the northeastern state of Borno on Friday, according to a military source and a civilian vigilante. Both said troops came under attack at about 9:00 am (0800 GMT) at Ajirin village in the Mafa area, some 50 kilometres (30 miles) east of the state capital, Maiduguri.


“There was a heavy gunfight. At least eight troops have been confirmed killed and two others injured,” the military source said. “It was a surprise attack and this is what led to the casualty toll,” the source added on condition of anonymity, as he is not authorised to talk to the media.

A civilian vigilante involved in helping the military with security in the restive region confirmed the account but said as many as 10 soldiers may have been killed.

According to AFP, no one from army headquarters in Nigeria’s capital Abuja was immediately available when contacted. Nigeria’s military and government have claimed repeatedly in recent months that Boko Haram, which is allied to the Islamic State group, is in disarray and nearly defeated. The army has mounted a sustained counter-attack against the group in its Borno state stronghold of the Sambisa forest.

In December, commanders said the rebels had been flushed out. Sporadic attacks since then have been attributed to desperate Boko Haram remnants on the run. Nevertheless, there have been a number of attacks on military and police targets in Borno and the neighbouring states of Yobe and Adamawa, as well as deadly suicide bombings.

Residents in the village of Kautikeri, in southern Borno state, said Boko Haram killed one person and abducted a seven-year-old boy from the neighbouring village of Kaumutaiyahi on Thursday.

The rebels looted food stores before setting fire to the village, which is some 15 kilometres from the town of Chibok, from where Boko Haram abducted more than 200 schoolgirls in April 2014.

Chibok is also near Boko Haram’s Sambisa forest camps. Thursday’s raid and recent attacks on the road between Damboa and Maiduguri have prompted speculation the militants are still in the area.

About Host Vow

Etima Ibanga is an Editor at EtimaNews. A well bred journalist with flair for entertainment and international politics Reach me via Email: etimablog@gmail.com.
«
Next
Newer Post
»
Previous
Older Post

Top